BHD Board Member Compensation and Expenses
Adopted: August 22, 1983
Amended: October 7, 1996, February 12, 2001, May 9, 2006, May 22, 2007, May 14, 2008, June 17, 2013
The Board believes every trustee should be compensated for the time spent and expenses incurred in the performance of their trusteeship.
The Board believes knowledgeable and skilled Board members can best discharge their obligations to the electorate and the Board.
The Board encourages trustees to improve their knowledge and understanding of educational matters through attendance at appropriate professional development activities.
- Compensation rates will be established on March 1 of each year and in accordance with the board's budget, but may be adjusted at other times by board motion.
- Each trustee shall be eligible to receive a "monthly" honorarium to reflect the time spent on trusteeship. One-third of that shall represent an expense allowance.
- Honorarium will be automatically adjusted based on the percentage change in Alberta Average Weekly Earnings Index from January 1 to December 31 over the two previous calendar years.
- Sixty ($60.00) dollars per day absent will be deducted from the monthly honorarium of a trustee for each failure to attend a duly constituted board meeting (organizational, regular or special) except by special arrangements and approval of the Board. The Board Chair or designate will give direction to the recording secretary when approving minutes for each meeting.
- Expenses to trustees for attendance at conferences and conventions outside Fort McMurray.
- Travel within Alberta - trustees, as determined by the Board or as advised by the Superintendent, may attend conferences, conventions, or meetings to conduct board business and may claim reasonable expenses.
- Travel outside Alberta - trustees, as approved by the Board, may attend relevant conferences, conventions, or meetings to conduct board business and may claim reasonable expenses.
- Registration fees, and accommodation costs shall be reimbursed upon presentation of the relevant expense claim form and receipts for the expenses.
- Subsistence shall be submitted on an expense claim form and reimbursed at the same rates as specified under Policy DLC, Schedule A.
- For travel outside Fort McMurray by means of personal vehicles, trustees shall be reimbursed at the same rate under Policy DLC, Schedule A.
- For travel outside Fort McMurray by aircraft, trustees shall be reimbursed at airfare cost plus additional cost for vehicle rental or other ground transportation costs.
- All reimbursement of expenses to trustees shall be subject to the submission of an expense claim form signed by either the Chairperson, Associate Superintendent of Business & Finance or the Superintendent.