Adopted: February 20, 1989
Amended: June 22, 2004, February 10, 2009, June 20, 2011
The Board supports competitive methods of purchasing in order to ensure effective use of its financial resources. All pricing will be evaluated on the basis of quality, service, availability, environmental impact and other criteria as deemed appropriate.
- The objectives related to procurement are to:
- Maintain continuity of supply with the minimum in inventory, consistent with educational needs, safety, and economic advantage;
- Avoid duplication, waste, obsolescence of materials and equipment;
- Maintain standards of quality in relation to suitability of use;
- Acquire materials and equipment at a cost consistent with quality and service required;
- Maintain a record-keeping system that provides administration with useful reports;
- Provide a process for procurement that is consistent with legal requirements.
- Authority to Purchase
The Principal/Department Manager/or designate is granted the specific authority to purchase goods and services in accordance with approved annual budgets. Exceptions to the specific purchasing authority outlined above are:
- Construction Contracts - Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance (or Designate)
- Land Acquisitions - Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance (or Designate)
- Employee Fringe Benefit Contracts - Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance (or Designate)
- Legal and other consultative services - Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance (or Designate)
- School Building Construction Contracts exceeding $200,000 – Board of Trustees
- Any goods or services exceeding $50,000.000 must be procured through the Purchasing Officer excepting Operation & Maintenance purchases exceeding $50,000 which will be approved by the Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance (or Designate)
- Any other exceptions must receive prior written approval of the Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance.
- Tendering/Quotes Procedures
- All tenders/quotes received will be obtained in accordance with the following procedures:
- Purchases up to $15,000.00 may be done without written or verbal quotes but must follow procedures that are established from time to time.
- At least two preferably three written quotes must be obtained for purchases between $15,000.01 - $74,999.99
- Tenders must be issued for purchases of supply only or services only exceeding $74,999.99 in accordance with local public body procurement rules as set out in the agreement on West Partnership Trade Agreement New between British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Alberta.
- All tenders for supply only or services only over $74,999.99 must be posted on Alberta Purchasing Connection.
- All tenders shall follow a formal tender process.
- School Building Construction Contracts Procedures
- Tender Procedure:
- Contract values of over $200,000 - sealed tenders
- Bidder selection, approval will considered for approval by the Board on the recommendation of the Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance.
- All construction (supply and installation) tenders over $200,000 must be posted on Alberta Purchasing Connection.
- Delegated Purchases - Legal and Other Consultative Service
- Selection and Award Process:
- Written proposal outlining credentials, understanding of scope of work, and basis of compensation;
- Invitee list prepared by Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance; and
- Approval of contract recommended by Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance and approved by the Board.