GB Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
Adopted: February 9, 1998, September 16, 2015
As a public body, Fort McMurray Public School District believes and affirms the general public’s right of access to information gathered and generated by the District. This right must be balanced by appropriate protection of privacy for personal information. The information management practice of the Fort McMurray Public School District will be based on the following principles:
- The right of access of any person to the records in the custody or control of the District, subject to limited and specific exceptions;
- Protection and appropriate use of the personal information of the clients and employees of the District;
- Right of access of clients and employees to their own personal information, subject to limited and specific exceptions;
- The right to request correction of personal information held by the District.
Fort McMurray Public School District will provide access to information and protection of personal information in a manner consistent with this policy and with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and related Regulations of the Province of Alberta.
- Designation of Head
The Superintendent of Schools is designated Head of Fort McMurray Public School District for the purpose of overseeing the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is responsible for ensuring that Fort McMurray Public School District complies with its provisions.
- The Superintendent of Schools, as Head of the public body, will approve a Delegation Authority Matrix for the purpose of managing the Act. Regardless of the delegation of authority, the Head will remain accountable for all actions and decisions made under the Act.
- Designation of the Coordinator
The Associate Superintendent Business and Finance is designated to the position of Coordinator as it relates to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is responsible for the overall management of the freedom of information and protection of privacy function within the District.
The Head is hereby empowered to fulfill his or her duties under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act which includes the establishment of procedures and practices to ensure appropriate management of the legislation.
- Setting of Fees
When fees are to be paid under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, they shall not exceed the rates outlined by the Act under regulations 10, 11, 12, 13 and Schedule 2.