GBP School Based Management Staffing
Adopted: February 15, 1988
Amended: December 4, 2001, November 25, 2015
The Board believes that decisions respecting the provision of professional and support staff in District schools are best made by principals within the limits of fiscal resources available and in terms of the needs of the students enrolled. The Board therefore directs the Superintendent to develop and implement procedures to facilitate school-level decision-making regarding professional and support staff, subject to appropriate monitoring, reporting, and control.
- The Board shall establish an annual Resource Allocations fund for District schools to provide for school staffing requirements and for supplies, equipment, and services (SES).
- Resource allocations shall reflect an estimate of staffing costs (based on projected averaged costs for all categories as derived from projections of populations and distributions) and minimum SES requirements.
- The Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance shall be responsible for identifying resource allocations for each school and, subject to the approval of the Superintendent, for advising principals of these allocations.
- Principals shall be responsible within the constraints of resource allocations for developing School Education Plans which address School and District Priorities. Draft Education Plans are to be reviewed with the Associate Superintendent of Education and Administration. School Budget Plans shall be part of the School Education Plan and shall include proposals for staffing.
- School Education Plans shall be submitted to the Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance for review.
- The Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance shall have the authority to recommend the School Education Plan to the Superintendent for approval or to direct that the plan be amended.
- The principal shall have the right to appeal to the Superintendent against the direction to amend the plan.
- The Superintendent shall, upon receipt of the Associate of Business and Finance's recommendations, either approve the plan or direct that the plan be amended.
- The Superintendent will report to the Board annually on a timely basis respecting the whole of the staffing component of School Education Plans and the Board reserves the right to direct further amendments respecting provisions or staffing and the balance of funds available for supplies, equipment, and services.
- Implementation of School Education Plan provisions shall commence subsequent to Board review.