JMA School Councils
Adopted: June 16, 1993
Amended: January 26, 2010
The Board of Trustees recognizes the important contributions that parents can and wish to make to the education of District students and encourages and supports parents and schools in the establishment of school councils associated with District schools.
- Formation of School Councils
- Notice of Meeting
Notice of a meeting to consider formation of a school council shall be provided to all parents or guardians of students enrolled in a school and, to the extent possible, to the school’s community no less than two weeks in advance of the meeting and the school’s administration shall assist the process personally and through the use of school equipment and material such as may be provided.
The principal or some other person the principal may designate shall chair the meeting called to determine whether or not to form a school council and the membership shall elect from its number a person to chair such meetings as may follow in accordance with whatever rules they may determine except that District staff may not serve in that capacity.
The parents or guardians of students enrolled in the school are members of the school council without restriction and members of the community and the staff of the school may choose to join the council of their own volition.
If the majority of parents present at the first meeting vote to do so a school council shall be formed.
- Constitution – Bylaws – Proceedings
School councils shall govern their affairs independently of the Board and shall determine as a matter of right their own constitutions and by-laws and rules of procedure. District officers may and are encouraged to support school councils through attendance at council meetings and through the provision of such information and advice as may assist councils to achieve their objectives.
A school council shall hold such number of meetings as it may determine necessary to the conduct of its business, but no less than one meeting per year.
- Names of School Councils
School councils shall determine their names as they wish.
- Election of Officers
The officers of school councils shall be such as may be specified in the council’s constitution and shall be elected annually.
- Dissolution of School Councils
A school council shall be dissolved when a majority of its members approve a resolution to do so or when, at the end of a school year no meeting has been held in the preceding twelve months.
While it is recognized that school councils may establish their goals and objectives independent of the Board the objectives of this policy shall be, generally, to
- enhance communication between the school and its community,
- provide a means by which the home, the school, and the community can work together for the benefit of District students,
- provide a forum for discussion of District school’s philosophies, plans, and operations notwithstanding that the principal continues to hold authority and responsibility for management of the school in accordance with established Board Policy.
- Development of School Councils
In order to facilitate the development of school councils for each District school
- principals will, each September or as otherwise required or directed conduct a survey of parents to determine the extent of interest in the creation of a school council and to encourage parents to become involved,
- the Alberta School Councils Association prepares and distributes literature describing and supporting the development of school councils on an “as required” basis and will provide such assistance as may be required by schools to ensure that parents are fully informed and freely choose to organize or to not organize school councils,
- principals shall advise the Deputy Superintendent when school councils for their schools have been formed.
- the Board or a committee of the Board that is specifically delegated to do so, shall meet annually with the chairpersons of school councils to discuss with them their perceptions respecting the effectiveness of the operations of those councils.
- the Principal shall compile a report on the subject of their school council and parent involvement in the schools each June. The report shall be filed with the Superintendent prior to September 30 each calendar year and shall be subsequently provided to the Board.