Trustees Running For Other Levels Of Government
The Board recognizes that there is nothing restricting a currently elected Trustee from running for office as an MLA or MP under either Alberta’s Election Act, or under the Legislative Assembly Act. The Board supports elected Trustees running for another level of government at municipal, provincial or national levels in a manner which does not have a deleterious effect on the District. While participating in such a campaign the Trustee is bound by all legislative and Board Policy requirements including but not restricted to matters relating to fiduciary duty, confidentiality including in-camera and FOIPP matters, and the pecuniary interest provisions of the School Act.
- The trustee retains their fiduciary duty responsibility to the Board as the trustee never stops being a member of the Board.
- Confidentiality of In-Camera meetings must be maintained. The trustee must avoid using specific examples from the school system during the campaign that would only be known because of the trustee’s involvement in confidential meetings.
- The trustee running for office, in campaigning or in making any public statements, is required to adhere to the same standard as any trustee with respect to Board decisions, whether the trustee running for office has been granted a leave or continues to actively serve as a member of the Board of Trustees.
- The trustee running for office at another level of government has the following options:
- Remain on the board and continue to deal with all issues around the board table while clearly separating the trustee role and the sought position.
- Request authorization for a temporary leave from the Board in accordance with s. 82(1) for the purpose of engaging in election campaigning.
- A trustee running for office at another level of government must:
- Refrain from wearing political campaign buttons and from distributing campaign information while acting in the capacity of a Trustee at Public School Board Meetings in schools. A Trustee running for office may participate in all-candidates’ forums held in schools; to the same extend as any other candidate.