Blood And Body Fluid Clean Up Protocol
For safe and effective clean up of vomit or small blood spills pre- assembled kits are available from janitorial or safety supply companies or you can easily assemble one and keep in a Ziploc bag near the first aid kit.
Basic Body Fluid Spill Kit:
- Disposable gloves (Latex free)
- Commercial absorbent 1
- (1/2cup) (including product Material Safety Data Sheet)
- 2 plastic disposable waste bags with twist tie
- Disposable wiping cloth or paper towels
- Thin piece of cardboard or plastic scoop/scraper
- Protective eye goggles
- Labeled spray bottle for dispensing Disinfectant Solution2
- Clean up protocol instruction sheet
- 1 disposable N-95 respirator (if there is risk of splashing or aerosol generation)
- 1 pair of disposable shoe covers
- Disposable pre-packaged disinfectant wipes/towelettes
Blood/body Fluid Clean Up Procedure:
- Isolate the spill area to prevent other people from contacting it.
- Put on protective gloves, eye goggles and respirator.
- Gather towels and spray bottle of disinfectant solution (mixed fresh).
- If using a sorbent apply over the spill and wait for it to gel.
- Remove all visible debris/material using paper towels and/or scraper tools working from least to most soiled area. Pre-clean the area with the disinfectant and wipe clean. Place the towels and debris in a plastic bag.
- Apply a second application of the disinfectant and allow to remain wet for the minimum contact time required by the product and let air dry. If using EP-50 the minimum contact time is five (5) minutes. (Note: consult with the custodian if the spill is on a carpet or soft furnishings)
- Place soiled paper towels and disposable equipment in plastic bag.
- Remove gloves (folding inside out) and respirator and place in plastic bag with soiled towels.
- Close plastic bag and place in a second plastic bag and dispose of as general waste.
- Wash hands and thoroughly with soap and water.
- Wash non-disposable equipment with soap and water and rinse in disinfectant solution.
For more information contact the District Safety Coordinator.
1 “Super-Sorb” or similar product is available through the custodian
2 Avmor EP-50 Disinfectant in proper dilutions is available on site from the custodian. This should be mixed fresh. This is preferred over bleach. If bleach is the only product available mix a fresh 10% solution (1 part bleach to 9 parts water). Contact time for bleach is a minimum of 10 minutes.
September 21, 2016
Section 18, 20, 45, 45.1, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Emergency Medical Aid Act
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Health Information Act
Occupational Health and Safety Act
Public Health Act
Communicable Disease Regulation (AR 238/85)
Ministerial Directive 4.1.1 – HIV / AIDS in Educational Settings
Occupational Health and Safety Code
Occupational Health and Safety Regulations