School Attendance Areas
The District, in acknowledging the uniqueness of individual students, accepts that parental choice for student accommodation is an important factor as parents seek to find the school they believe best able to meet their children’s needs. The Superintendent will establish student attendance areas for each school and create procedures governing student accommodation that:
- Aim at the effective and efficient use of space in District schools;
- Recognize the right and responsibility of parents to make decisions respecting their children’s education, including selection of the public school(s) their children will attend.
- Is a student who chooses to enrol in a school not in his/her attendance area he/ she has not been directed or referred to attend.
- The District school for which the attendance area contains the student’s residence
- The District school to which a student is directed or referred to attend because that school is best suited to provide the programs required for that student.
- The right of parents to select their children’s school may be restricted by the Superintendent due to program, building capacity, or other significant considerations. For each school, the Superintendent may annually define each school to have:
- Enrolment limits - While students may currently enrol in the school without any restrictions, the potential that this right may be limited is foreseen
- Closed boundaries - Enrolment is limited to students meeting criteria identified from those accommodation priorities identified as follows:
- Students living within the school defined attendance area;
- Students directed to attend a District program located in the school;
- Brothers and sisters of students currently attending the school; and
- Other students as defined by the Superintendent.
- The Superintendent will annually determine the map of Attendance Boundaries (link map).
- Parents who decide to educate their children at home have the right to select which school will serve as their children’s “designated school”.
- Parents of students currently enrolled in District schools must make their request to select another school for the next school year by May 31 of the current school year. After that date, principals shall be required only to accept students who:
- Are living within the school defined attendance area; or
- Are new to the city between May 31 and September 1.
- Other students may be enrolled at the discretion of the Principal.
- During the school year, parents may request to enrol children in any school that is not designated to have “closed boundaries”.
- When an official declaration of an enrolment limit for a school or program has been declared; students voluntarily selecting another District school may access transportation services based on Administrative Procedure 560 – Student Transportation Services.
- Transportation to a school of choice shall be the responsibility of the parent. Where possible, the students may be transported to the school of choice within the existing transportation system according to the “choice” category of Administrative Procedure 560 – Student Transportation Services.
- The Superintendent shall ensure that information pertaining to the administrative procedures respecting student accommodation are effectively communicated to staff, parents and other interested members of the public.
April 6, 1993
June 9, 1997, December 9, 2003, January 26, 2010, September 21, 2016
Section 8, 20, 23, 60, 61, 113 School Act