Term Appointment For School Administrators
Administrators best qualified to maintain the District’s high standards shall be selected in a fair and equitable manner.
- Principals and vice-principals will be appointed on the following basis:
- As of May 1, 2015 all new administrative appointments will be offered a term-certain contract.
- Prior to May 1 of his/her probationary year, the administrator will be notified whether or not the designation will continue to the length of the term-certain contract.
- Prior to May 1 of the administrator’s last year of the term-certain contract, the administrator will be notified whether or not another term-certain contract will be offered.
- Administrators already appointed with contracts other than a term-certain retain their original contracts.
- The criteria for the selection of principals will, to some degree depend upon the job description for each school. They may, therefore, vary slightly from one school to another.
- The following criteria or factors frequently used in Principal selection will normally be given attention by the Selection Advisory Committee. The factors listed are not necessarily in order of priority.
- Training including breadth of both general and specialized knowledge;
- Human relations skills;
- Command of language and ability to articulate thoughts;
- Dependability and drive;
- Likely administrative behaviour or creativity;
- Interests; and
- Physical fitness or health.
- Every effort shall be made to obtain “the right Principal for the right school” or, in other words, the person who can best meet the criteria adopted by the Selection Advisory Committee. Vacancies shall, therefore, be advertised both inside and outside the District.
- Other things being equal, preference shall always be given to applicants on the District staff.
- A Selection Advisory Committee shall be appointed and chaired by the Superintendent for each principalship vacancy. This Committee shall be responsible for screening and evaluating the candidates in terms of the criteria adopted for the vacancy. The Committee shall be composed of District Office personnel. Other personnel who possess the experience, preparation, and insights necessary to discharge such responsibilities in an effective manner may also be included, at the discretion of the Superintendent.
- After giving full consideration to the findings of the Selection Advisory Committee, the Superintendent shall make the final decision.
May 8, 1978
March 18, 2015, September 21, 2016
Section 19, 20, 60, 61, 95, 96, 113 School Act
Principal Quality Practice Guideline
School Leadership Framework