Role Of The Deputy Superintendent
Guided by the District’s vision, mission, motto and belief statements and our goals, the Deputy Superintendent will assist the Superintendent in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Deputy Superintendent is directly responsible and accountable to the Superintendent. The Deputy Superintendent is designated as the Chief Deputy Superintendent pursuant to the Teaching Profession Act. The Deputy Superintendent shall assume all responsibilities of the Superintendent in the Superintendent’s absence.
The Superintendent, will have specific responsibilities for:
- Human Resources Leadership
- Provides for training of administrators and the development of leadership capacity within the District as approved by the Superintendent.
- Provides effective Teacher and School Administrator Induction Programs.
- Provides recommendations to the Superintendent regarding strategic workforce planning.
- Assists District personnel with human resources processes (e.g. conflict resolution and mediation).
- In collaboration with the Associate Superintendent, Business and Finance, provides support to the Board’s negotiating committees.
- Human Resources Management
- Supervises, evaluates and reviews the performance of “direct reports”.
- Conducts the selection process and participates in the selection panel for all administrative positions other than that of the Superintendent.
- Recruits and hires all personnel in consultation with the direct supervisor in accordance with Superintendent direction and approved budget.
- Establishes the frameworks for supervision and evaluation of all personnel.
- Conducts the supervision and evaluation of school-based administrative staff, as requested by the Superintendent.
- Supervises the evaluation of school staff by, and in consultation with, principals.
- Reviews Principal Professional Growth Plans.
- Provides support to ensure that each staff member is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning and working environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Administers all employment contracts in the best interests of the District, including leaves, transfers, transitions to retirement.
- 0 Administers the employee classification system (job descriptions, grid placements).
- 1 Administers the Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- 2 Administers all personnel files.
- 3 Within areas of responsibility, provides for legal opinions as required.
- 4 Provides supervisory expertise to principals and District personnel.
- 5 Provides support, as requested, to the Associate Superintendent, Education and Administration in matters related to staff professional development.
- Student Learning
- Supports implementation of School Education Plans.
- Supports implementation of the school review process.
- Student Wellness
- Provides support to ensure that each student is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Makes recommendations to the Superintendent regarding staff allocations to include in the District budget.
- Develops a department budget within the parameters and constraints of the District budget.
- Ensures the proper fiscal management of department budget allocations.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- Policy/Administrative Procedures
- Assists the Superintendent in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Board policy within areas of responsibility.
- Provides leadership in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Board policy and District administrative procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal, Ministerial and Board mandates and timelines, and adherence to Superintendent directives.
- Contributes to a District culture which facilitates positive results, effectively handles emergencies, and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open, transparent internal communications (and external when required) are developed and maintained in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures staff, students, and parents have a high level of satisfaction with the services provided and the responsiveness of the department.
- Investigates, and facilitates resolution of, concerns and conflicts.
- Superintendent Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Superintendent.
- Honours and facilitates the implementation of the Board’s roles and responsibilities as defined in Board policy and encourages staff to do the same.
- Provides information which the Superintendent requires to perform his/her role in an exemplary fashion.
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom he works in carrying out the Superintendent’s expectations.
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
September 21, 2016
Sections 18, 20, 45, 45.1, 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117 School Act
Employment Standards Code
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Labour Relations Code
Teaching Profession Act