Role Of The Assistant Superintendent, Education and Administration
Guided by the District’s vision, mission, motto and belief statements and our goals, the Assistant Superintendent will assist the Superintendent in fulfilling the general and specific aspects of the role description for the Superintendent as defined in the School Act and Board policy.
The Assistant Superintendent is directly responsible and accountable to the Superintendent. The Assistant Superintendent will support the Deputy Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent (Inclusive Education) in specific responsibilities including:
- Human Resources Leadership
- Assists in the training of administrators and the development of leadership capacity within the District as approved by the Superintendent.
- Supports effective Teacher and School Administrator Induction Programs.
- Provides recommendations to the Superintendent regarding strategic workforce planning.
- Assists District personnel with human resources processes (e.g. conflict resolution and mediation).
- Assists with the selection process and participates on the selection panel for all school administrative positions.
- Assists in the recruitment and hiring of all personnel in consultation in accordance with Superintendent direction and approved budget.
- Assists with the supervision and evaluation of school-based administrative staff, as requested by the Superintendent.
- Assists with the supervision and the evaluation of school staff by, and in consultation with, principals.
- Reviews Principal Professional Growth Plans.
- Provides support to ensure that each staff member is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning and working environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Assists with all Alberta Teachers’ Association employment contracts in the best interests of the District, including leaves, transfers, transitions to retirement.
- Provides supervisory expertise to principals and District personnel.
- Provides support, as requested, to the Associate Superintendent (Inclusion) in matters related to staff professional development.
- Student Learning
- Supports the implementation of School Education Plans.
- Supports implementation of the school review process.
- Ensures students in the District within areas of responsibility have the opportunity to meet the standards of education set by the Minister.
- Supports the effective implementation of the curriculum in the District.
- Provides support for initiatives to facilitate curricular outcomes.
- Ensures accountability for achievement of approved learning outcomes in all schools.
- Provides leadership in fostering conditions which promote the improvement of educational opportunities for all students in schools and programs within areas of responsibility.
- Supports the implementation of appropriate programming for First Nations, Métis and Inuit students.
- Ensures that each student is provided with a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging.
- Develops and maintains positive and effective relations with provincial government departments and regional/community agencies which provide services/supports to students.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Makes recommendations with the other members of the Senior Leadership Team to the Superintendent regarding staff allocations in the District budget.
- Helps develop department budgets within the parameters and constraints of the District budget.
- Ensures the proper fiscal management of department budget allocations.
- Operates in a fiscally prudent and responsible manner.
- Policy/Administrative Procedures
- Assists the Superintendent in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Board policy within areas of responsibility.
- Provides leadership in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of Administrative Procedures within areas of responsibility.
- Ensures the application of Board policy and District administrative procedures as required in the performance of duties.
- Organizational Management
- Within areas of responsibility, demonstrates effective organizational skills resulting in compliance with all legal, Ministerial and Board mandates and timelines, and adherence to Superintendent directives.
- Contributes to a District culture which facilitates positive results, effectively handles emergencies, and deals with crisis situations in a team-oriented, collaborative and cohesive fashion.
- Communications and Community Relations
- Takes appropriate actions to ensure open, transparent internal communications (and external when required) are developed and maintained in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures staff, students, and parents have a high level of satisfaction with the services provided and the responsiveness of the department.
- Investigates and facilitates resolution of concerns and conflicts.
- Superintendent Relations
- Establishes and maintains positive, professional working relations with the Superintendent.
- Honours and facilitates the implementation of the Board’s roles and responsibilities as defined in Board policy and encourages staff to do the same.
- Provides information which the Superintendent requires to perform his/her role in an exemplary fashion.
- Leadership Practices
- Practices leadership in a manner that is viewed positively and has the support of those with whom he works in carrying out the Superintendent’s expectations.
- Exhibits a high level of personal, professional and organizational integrity.
December 17, 2018
Sections 18, 20, 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117 School Act
Employment Standards Code
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Labour Relations Code
Teaching Professional Act