Under the School Act, a District may provide for the payment of traveling and other expenses. The District believes that individuals are to be reimbursed for reasonable expenses they may personally incur as a result of District responsibilities.
Employees who are required by the District to:
- Attend conventions for specific purposes;
- Attend conferences or seminars for professional growth and development;
- Travel and incur associated expenses on District business;
shall be reimbursed for expenses incurred in accordance with the Act and within the provisions of the respective sponsoring budgets.
Individuals are expected to exercise wise judgement in choosing means of transportation and accommodation, which reflect concern for the District’s budget.
The Board will annually review and authorize expense reimbursement rates.
- The District will reimburse employees for fair and reasonable travel expenses incurred while on District activities. Alcohol cannot be claimed and will not be reimbursed.
- Where no other meal is provided, reimbursement will be at the rates detailed in the Appendix attached to and forming part of this Administrative Procedure.
- Approval of the Principal is required prior to any expense reimbursement which is drawn from school designated funds.
- Approval of the Superintendent or designate is required prior to any expense reimbursement, which is drawn from District designated funds.
- Reviewing of expense reimbursement claims is delegated as follows:
- The Superintendent or designated supervisor shall review all employee claims.
- The Associate Superintendent, Business and Finance shall be responsible for the reimbursement of claims including authorization of payment.
- Claims for less than $200.00 can be submitted at the employee’s convenience.
- Claims for the school year must, however, be submitted by August 31 of that year.
- Original receipts must be attached to all claims.
- Claims without receipts are to be on “an exception” basis only, that is, only when a receipt cannot be obtained (Form 513-2).
- School and Department travel procedures must not exceed reimbursements presented in the Appendix.
- Travel, accommodations, meals, incidentals, hospitality and professional membership expenses will be posted on the District website for the Superintendent, Associate Superintendents, Assistant Superintendent, Assistant Secretary-Treasurer and Directors the month following processing.
February 5, 1980
October 10, 2000, May 14, 2002, June 10, 2003, February 8, 2005, May 9, 2006, May 8, 2007, March 18, 2013, October 21, 2013, March 18, 2015, July, 2016, September 21, 2016, June 13, 2018
Section 18, 20, 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117 School Act
Section 248L, Canada Tax Act
Canadian Income Tax Regulation 6801