Facility construction may be required if the number and type of facilities owned by the District are determined by the District to be insufficient to meet educational and/or recreational goals set for the community. This Administrative Procedure is applicable when the District assumes responsibility for construction of facilities.
Capital projects are new construction and modernization projects identified in the District’s capital submission and approved by Alberta Education.
- Capital Projects
- The Board will confirm by Board resolution the capital budget and the funding sources for all capital projects.
- Change orders for funding that is additional to the Board approved budget; or change orders that significantly alter the scope of work on the project (change order cost exceeds 10% of the approved project budget), will be presented to Board for approval.
- Selection Of Architect
- Architectural firms shall be selected for capital projects in accordance with Administrative Procedure 540 Appendix - Selection of Architect.
- The Board shall be informed of the commissioned architect for each capital project.
- Concept Design Of Capital Projects
- The Board shall be provided the concept design for each capital project.
- Construction Contracts, Bidding And Awards
- The Board may carry out any portion or all of a project using District forces or construction management, subject to ministerial approval.
- A construction contract shall be awarded to the qualified contractor who submits the lowest acceptable tender, subject to budgetary and ministerial approval.
April 19, 2000
June 22, 2010, September 21, 2016
Section 20, 60, 61, 113, 152 School Act
Occupational Health and Safety Act
Builder’s Lien Act
Worker’s Compensation Act
Funding Manual for School Authorities
Policy and Requirements for School Board Planning and Reporting
School Authorities Planning and Reporting Reference Guide